los tres hombres

a few things:

one:
i've reinvented the classic PBJ:
  • two slices of bread - i have started buying my bread from a local bakery. yum.
  • natural peanut butter - spread on both pieces of bread
  • fresh raspberries - this is instead of jam or jelly from a jar

this discovery, the fresh fruit instead of jam, has come out of my CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) membership. i pick up a bag of fruits/vegetables once a week, which i share with Z and my Big Brother. the fruits/vegetables are grown locally (as locally as one can get here in reno without growing the shit in your backyard, pretty much.) and for the most part, organically. last week, along with everything else, we got some raspberries. they were delicious.

i made a decision at the beginning of the season to not purchase produce that wasn't grown locally. when i don't get what i want/need from the CSA, i hit up the farmer's markets that happen around town. and i did fabulously well with this endeavour. it was important to me to support the local guys and not buy the stuff i could get locally from places like south/central america. i want to know where my food comes from. and there are some other reasons why i think spending a little extra money on this stuff is totally worth it. (the energy (oil) used in getting that stuff to my local grocery store, shipping it halfway across the world being one of those.) i think it's important to support my local economy as much as possible. plus it's good for me to eat vegetables all of the time. and hazel loves it too.

and the natural peanut butter is just better for me. no added preservatives, low sodium, no sugar. it took a little getting used to after my childhood spent eating Jif. which i still eat spoonfuls of when i go to the folks'. but i think peanut butter is delicious. especially when it tastes like peanuts.

two:
i have the internet at my new apartment now. this is good because:
  • i am back in school for the semester - i need access to course websites and shtuff.
  • i can keep in better touch with everyone - messenger and email and myspace and things.
  • i need the distraction - my brain gets tired when i use it too much.
  • i like to cook - lots of good recipes online.
  • i am playing the guitar a lot these days - i need guitar tabs/chords/lyrics at my fingertips.
  • i am addicted to its access - i won't have to check my bank balance/email at work.

you never realize how much reliance you have on something until it's gone. the other night when i needed to go online to purchase airplane tickets, (well. i wasn't technically the purchaser, but that is not really the point here.) i couldn't do it from my apartment. so i had to get in my car and drive to the university, the only place close that i could think would have For Sure Internet Access. so that was lame. and as soon as school started, i needed access. in numerous classes i have to write papers based on research journals, which are mostly archived online.

three:
i've decided to give up loathing this lady that's been in lots of my graduate classes. she used to annoy me - she would rarely forget to mention her child is enrolled in a Montessori School. she used to slip it into any kind of class discussion. in a really snobbish manner. and it got on my nerves. and we argued about something once. but she told me today that my hair gets more and more pretty as it gets longer. couple that with the fact that i can't remember what it was we were arguing about (and that i really don't have anything against montessori schools) and well. i've got nothing but wasted energy. plus she really is nice. and she shares snacks with the people around her. which is important when the class we share right now is from seven until nine forty-five at night.

well. those are the things.

that's where you'll find me now.

(oh. and my digital camera isn't exactly working properly. and i can't find the cord to connect it to my computer, so what photos i have of burning man i can't grab off of it. until then. lovely text!)

Comments

shavizzle said…
just to note: I sincerely appreciate a good long glorious text blog just as much, if not more, than I do the ones with pictures.
Mike said…
Welcome back! I applaud your important use of capitals for For Sure Internet Access.. I hear you there!

Also, I will attempt your new PB&J.. but give me the sugary artifical PB any day over that natural junk. Blech! Will I be seeing you this weekend at the main event?

Popular Posts