because i should be doing something else.

does anyone know enough computery code language to think the way the following paragraph ends is deliciously nerdy? because i do:

"And time flies. School is back in session making the beach less crowded, so there I spend my evenings. My houseguest is still here, so there’s that. Last night the girl at Cold Stone Creamery made me two smoothies and charged me for neither when I pronounced Germänchokolätekäke. My friend, however, was charged for his ice cream. /snigger"

(courtesy of random internetness)


and. i scored a sixty-six out of one thousand and one.

on what, may you ask? well.

i found this book: 1,001 Books You Must Read Before You Die
and if you want to see the list: A List. But Read the Book?
(courtesy of jessa crispin at bookslut)

so. i copied and pasted the list, went through and coloured all of the books i haven't read light blue, all of the books i'm currently in the middle of red (yes, there were more than two) and left the books i have read in a nice black bold. i didn't cheat. i didn't count the books i never finished all of the way through or those i'd only read bits and pieces of.

now this shameful half an hour of procrastination has left me with a very long list of books i have never read. and no, this list will never satisfy everyone. i was surprised at how many authors have multiple works. (most of those were authors i'd never read, making me feel that much more behind every time their name turned blue.)

this is all very interesting, indeed. but i would be interested to know how many of these books have been read by people i know. and not in an "i have read more books than you" sort of way.

(i have many books under my belt that aren't even on this list. ha.)

what i really mean to say is, it's autumn. the leaves are changing and my head now requires the company of a fuzzy hat during my nightly walks around the neighborhood.

currently seeking: a soundtrack to my winter lustre.
applications/suggestions welcome.


(oh. and hazel likes peas. apparently.)

Comments

shavizzle said…
I've read 44. this was a depressing exercise for me. thank you.
Zack Sheppard said…
First, I think your "a soundtrack to my winter lustre" idea should be submitted to the Contrast Podcast as a theme suggestion. Any podcast whose current requesting theme is "a song I like by a band I dont" would like this theme I think.

READ: 22
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time – Mark Haddon
The Unbearable Lightness of Being – Milan Kundera
The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy – Douglas Adams
Sula – Toni Morrison
To Kill a Mockingbird – Harper Lee
On the Road – Jack Kerouac
The Lord of the Rings – J.R.R. Tolkien
Lord of the Flies – William Golding
The Grapes of Wrath – John Steinbeck
Of Mice and Men – John Steinbeck
Billy Budd, Foretopman – Herman Melville
The Magic Mountain – Thomas Mann
Babbitt – Sinclair Lewis
A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man – James Joyce
The Hound of the Baskervilles – Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
The Turn of the Screw – Henry James
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes – Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn – Mark Twain
Crime and Punishment – Fyodor Dostoevsky
Madame Bovary – Gustave Flaubert
The Scarlet Letter – Nathaniel Hawthorne
Frankenstein – Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley


WATCHED (aka cheated ;): 25
The Bonfire of the Vanities – Tom Wolfe
The Cider House Rules – John Irving
The Name of the Rose – Umberto Eco (Only if this is a really bad Swan Connery movie)
2001: A Space Odyssey – Arthur C. Clarke
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? – Philip K. Dick (AKA Bladerunner)
One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest – Ken Kesey
A Clockwork Orange – Anthony Burgess
To Kill a Mockingbird – Harper Lee
The Last Temptation of Christ – Nikos Kazantzákis
Dracula – Bram Stoker
The Picture of Dorian Gray – Oscar Wilde
King Solomon’s Mines – H. Rider Haggard (Im not sure I can count this one. It was that super corny one with RIchard Chamberlin. It was like Flash Gordon meets King Solomon)
Treasure Island – Robert Louis Stevenson
Les Misérables – Victor Hugo
North and South – Elizabeth Gaskell (Yes, the whole mini-series)
A Christmas Carol – Charles Dickens (Natch)
Oliver Twist – Charles Dickens
Last of the Mohicans – James Fenimore Cooper
Rob Roy – Sir Walter Scott
Mansfield Park – Jane Austen
Pride and Prejudice – Jane Austen
Sense and Sensibility – Jane Austen
Dangerous Liaisons – Pierre Choderlos de Laclos
Moll Flanders – Daniel Defoe

And Finally:
How It Is – Samuel Beckett
I didnt read this one but I used to love Quantum leap so I feel I know "how it was" for Dr. Sam Beckett, I lived it too!

Popular Posts