early to bed, early to rise and my cat is a boy.

i wake up just before four every day.

it's early, four in the morning.

i've started to bake the muffins, scones, quick breads, cookies and biscotti for the three coffee counters i've been working behind for the past few years. it's an exciting change, moving from barista to baker, but i haven't acclimated to the lifestyle quite yet. it's weird to be getting ready to go to bed when you can still see light in the sky. last night i was reminded of my struggles with going to bed as a little kid in the summertime when it was still light outside. how can a person get her body to fall asleep when subconsciously it feels like it still has time to play. i've been a night person for so long, i'm pretty surprised i've been able to do it.

last week we opened our third location at the Veteran's Hospital (a location i'm pretty excited about, peoplewise. lots of interesting folks milling about over there, i'm sure.) so along with baking i spent some time trying to keep everything somewhat stable due to my boss's attention being focused on her new counter. i was still on my regular work schedule for my courier job which meant i was working from four in the morning until four in the afternoon. not easy, not easy at all. i was tired. i spent most of saturday on the couch doing absolutely nothing.

this week is better, i've changed my courier schedule to allow me to get done earlier in the day and i'm getting more used to the early bedtime. my sister reminded me how my parents laughed when i decided i wanted to be a teacher and said but how are you going to get up in the morning every day? my how things change.

in much more exciting news, i found out my new cat friend is actually a boy. i took him to the vet yesterday for his vaccinations and during the initial exam it was discovered that she was a he. oops. i guess it's difficult to tell when they're so young. i'm glad i chose a pretty gender-neutral name. now i just have to get used to the idea. haha. all of the folks at the veterinarian told me that boy cats are better anyway. so that's good.

so that's where you'll find me now. thinking mostly about baking and cats.

Comments

Cassie Peck said…
Harper is super cute! And too funny about him turning out to be a boy. I had a friend in high school who had a white chicken she named Olivia that turned out to be a rooster. She still called it Olivia, so good thing you picked such an awesome name that's also gender neutral! Hope you guys have tons of fun together.
now that you look at his picture..he does look like a boy..lol..he sure is cute...
Zack Sheppard said…
His name does still work. I always thought Harper Lee was a dude. Have fun baking! :)

Popular Posts